cream of sweet potato soup
My cousin prepared this dish for me one evening during her studies at the Stratford Chef School for the culinary arts. She is now a chef and one of the many people that I exchange recipes with. We have always bonded over meals. This is a go-to recipe that we both make often! To be honest though, I don't usually write the first letter of my name in my soup. If you do top it with whipped cream, you'll love the design (the marble-effect) that you'll see when you stir it in!
Overall, this is an excellent recipe for many occasions. It is fairly quick and easy. A hearty, comfort-food favourite of mine!
2 tbsp butter
1/2 small sweet onion, diced finely
1/2 piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
4 cups vegetable broth1-2 cups heavy cream
1. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in onion, ginger, and garlic. Sauté until onions are golden brown.
2. Add sweet potatoes into the pan. Stir, coating the sweet potatoes, for 4-5 minutes.
3. Pour the vegetable broth over. Simmer uncovered, over medium heat for about 20-30 minutes or until 3/4 of the broth has evaporated.
4. Take a fork and mash the sweet potatoes down.
5. Add in cream until desired consistency is achieved. At this point, blending with an immersion blender will make the soup extra creamy and smooth.6. If desired, top with cold whipping cream.